by: Teresa R. Tracy
On October 25, 2022, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) issued Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about its new “Know Your Rights” poster that it had issued that had been available for upload on October 19, 2022. The FAQs clarify:
- There is not a specific deadline for employers to replace the former “EEO is the Law” poster with the updated “Know Your Rights” poster, but employers should remove the old poster and replace it with the new one within “a reasonable amount of time.”
- There is a newer version of the “Know Your Rights” poster, which is marked “(Revised 10/20/22)” that is available for upload and is the one that should be used. Employers that quickly posted the version that was available for upload on October 19, 2022, should replace it with the 10/20/22 version, which is available here.
- The EEOC is not currently providing printed copies of the poster. Employers need to download and print the two-page PDF.
- The poster is available as a PDF that has been optimized for screen readers in order to make it available and accessible for individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
- The poster is currently available in both English and Spanish and will be available in additional languages at a later date.
- As before, this poster should be placed in a conspicuous location in the workplace where notices to applicants and employees are customarily posted.
- In addition to posting the new poster, federal agencies have additional responsibilities to communicate equal employment opportunity and procedures to all employees.
This article is made available for educational purposes and to provide general information on current legal topics, not to provide specific legal advice. The publication of this article does not create any attorney-client relationship and should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney.